We have decided to retire the NServiceBus.FileBasedRouting experimental labs project.
Why is it being retired?
- It does not appear to be widely adopted.
- MSMQ will no longer be developed by Microsoft. As such we don’t recommend using it in new projects.
- All other transports supported by the Service Platform will have native pub-sub going forward, which reduces the usefulness of file-based routing configuration to commands only. If the intention is to replace the NServiceBus routing system completely, a better approach is to directly tap into the routing extensibility API.
What does it mean to retire NServiceBus.FileBasedRouting ?
Retiring NServiceBus.FileBasedRouting doesn’t mean that this component is no longer available. Once retired, the main result is that Particular Software will no longer maintain it. More specifically:
- Particular Software will not make any further code changes. No new releases will be published.
- The NuGet packages will be unlisted. The current versions will still be available to projects that already have a package reference.
- Documentation and samples will be moved to the package’s code repository.
- The packages source will be open-sourced under the MIT license.
- Any person or organization may clone/fork the repository and modify it to suit their needs.
What can be done if this affects you
If you are affected by this decision, then there are 2 options available to you:
- Use the advanced routing API to create and maintain a compatible file-based routing solution. This can easily be started by cloning the NServiceBus.FileBasedRouting repository source code.
- Switch to a different transport in order to use native pub-sub and eliminate the need to use file-based routing.
- Contact support for recommendations and assistance if required.
For now, NServiceBus.FileBasedRouting remains available as usual. Once NServiceBus.FileBasedRouting is effectively retired, we will make a new announcement.
If you are interested in forking a maintaining a community project based on NServiceBus.FileBasedRouting, feel free to let us know!
All the best,
From all of us here,