Error queue size not getting increased for Azure Service Bus

Hi,

I was attempting to increase the size of the Queues from default 1 GB to 5 GB.
I am using the below libraries versions

NServiceBus -> 6.5.9
NServiceBus.Azure.Transports.WindowsAzureServiceBus -> 7.2.18

I am using the below code.

var endpointConfiguration = new EndpointConfiguration("testendpoint");
        endpointConfiguration.UsePersistence<InMemoryPersistence>();
        endpointConfiguration.SendFailedMessagesTo("testendpoint-error");
        endpointConfiguration.LicensePath("<License Path>");

var transport = endpointConfiguration.UseTransport<AzureServiceBusTransport>();
        transport.ConnectionString("<Connection String>");

// Update the size of the Queues to 5 GB.
        var queues = transport.Queues();            
        queues.MaxSizeInMegabytes(SizeInMegabytes.Size5120);

var startableEndpoint = Endpoint.Create(endpointConfiguration).GetAwaiter().GetResult();
        startableEndpoint.Start().GetAwaiter().GetResult();

I observe that while the endpoint queue and retries queue are resized, the error queue size remains same(Still 1GB).
However when we start the endpoints for the first time and the queues are non existing, I see that all the 3 queues(endpoint, retries and error queues) are created with 5 GB size.

Can you please let me know if there is any setting I can use to update the error queue size or should it be done manually?

You have something in your system that is configured to use the default size for queues and has access to the error queue. Hence the queue size is getting reset back to 1GB. It could be ServiceControl or another endpoint.

NServiceBus.Azure.Transports.WindowsAzureServiceBus is a legacy package that will be going out of support soon. You should have a look at migrating to the current ASB transport, NServiceBus.Azure.Transport.AzureServiceBus. The current transport does not reset queue properties if it exists.

Hi Sean,

I checked this. However I do not use either ServiceControl or another endpoint. I extracted the code I posted into a separate console project and was able to reproduce this behavior.

We are on the process of migrating to the NServiceBus.Azure.Transport.AzureServiceBus library, but however this takes some time. I was thinking what might be the options here.
Do you recommend we wait for the migration to increase the size of queues, or can we manually change it in Azure portal?

Hi Shivaprasad,

It really depends on what it’s causing. If no harm is caused by the queue size reduced to 1GB, them conversion to NServiceBus.Azure.Transport.AzureServiceBus is what I’d focus on first as the legacy ASB transport time is running out. While doing so, keep an eye on the queue in question, which has its size reduced, to ensure it is not overfilled.

That’s odd. If the code in your standalone repro is explicitly setting the queue size to 5GB and yet it’s changing back to 1GB, then there’s something else somewhere that is running (starting/restarting, to be precise) that’s causing the queue size to be reset to the default.

In either case, if you need further support, do not hesitate to raise a support case at Support options • Particular Software