Fixing RavenDB Index

We have many error messages in our event viewer similar to :

Category: ServiceControl.CheckRavenDBIndexLag
EventId: 0

Detected RavenDB index errors, please start maintenance mode and resolve the following issues:

• Index [SagaDetailsIndex] error: Could not properly write to index SagaDetailsIndex (Action: Failed to reduce index: SagaDetailsIndex (id: 21) 2 single step keys and 0 multi step keys. Skipping this batch (it won’t be reduced), Doc: , At: 7/18/2022 11:41:19 AM)
  • Index [SagaDetailsIndex] error: Could not properly write to index SagaDetailsIndex (Action: Failed to reduce index: SagaDetailsIndex (id: 21) 17 single step keys and 0 multi step keys. Skipping this batch (it won’t be reduced), Doc: , At: 7/18/2022 11:41:50 AM)
  • Index [SagaDetailsIndex] error: Could not properly write to index SagaDetailsIndex (Action: Failed to reduce index: SagaDetailsIndex (id: 21) 20 single step keys and 0 multi step keys. Skipping this batch (it won’t be reduced), Doc: , At: 10/18/2022 2:29:33 PM)

I found this discussion that seems relevant.

I cannot find the Raven DB user interface URL that I can use delete the index.

Please do let me know if there is a better method to address this situation.

Hi Jack,

See the ServiceControl troubleshooting guidance and guidande on maintenance mode:

If you can’t resolve it then please share the exact steps you’ve done so far.

Regards,
Ramon

1 Like

Thanks Ramon.

I want to be sure that installing the Raven DB Management Studio on our server that I wasn’t going to have a problem with it overwriting libraries or otherwise interfering with NServiceBus functionality.

There is no effective backup to restore should this cause an issue.

If I can install it on my local machine for instance and manage the indices from there, that would be better.

I also wanted to be sure that fixing this issue would help NServiceBus perform well. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”

Hi Jack,

When you bring service control into maintenance mode (2nd link from Ramon’s response) you will be able to open Raven’s Management Studio so there is no need to install anything.

Regards
Michael

Once you go into maintenance mode a link appears that will take you to the Raven Management Studio (RMS).

I wanted to see the RMS before I actually took action but it wasn’t necessary.