Message Type Unknown - missing metadata EnclosedMessageTypes

NServiceBus: 5.2.24
NServiceBus.NHibernate: 6.2.9
Transport: MSMQ, MSDTC enabled
Database: Oracle 11g

From time to time we see this type of error in the TimeoutsDispatcher:

System.Transactions.TransactionAbortedException: 
System.Transactions.TransactionStatePromotedAborted.PromotedTransactionOutcome(InternalTransaction tx)

Message Type Unknown - missing metadata EnclosedMessageTypes
The transaction has aborted.

And if you click to see the details in ServicePulse, there’s nothing:

Could not find message. This could be because the message URL is invalid or the corresponding message was processed and no longer audited by ServiceControl.

Hi

Can you paste the full exception stack trace? Also, when do you get the error in ServicePulse?

Szymon

Hi,

No stacktrace or any other details about the error, just this message:

Could not find message. This could be because the message URL is invalid or the corresponding message was processed and no longer audited by ServiceControl.

We have all of our endpoints scaled out in multiple machines, and I know from previous conversations with you guys that in a scaled-out deployment the same timeout can be consumed from multiple endpoints. So I just wanted check with you if this might be a “ghost” message that has already been processed by another endpoint (hence no actual error), or might be something else.

Anyhow, it doesn’t seem to be impacting the correct functioning of the system.

Any clue? As I said, this doesn’t seem to be impacting the system, but we just wanted to make sure there’s nothing obvious that we can do on our side to prevent it in the future.

Hi

Would you be able to find the corresponding error-level log message in the NServiceBus log files?

Szymon

OK, I tried but after a week I not able to find the corresponding log messages (we have a very dense deployment: 15+ vms, 100+ endpoints).

I’ll keep this in mind for the next time.

Thanks.