MSMQ Message Routing via DNS

I was curious if there was a way to utilize a DNS for the MSMQ routing rather than the actual computer name. We have built out quite a few endpoints over the years utilizing the computer name. We are currently looking/having to upgrade a few of the servers these endpoints run on and quickly realized how much of a pain it will be each server upgrade to go update all of our endpoints to use the correct new server name. We were hoping there was a way to utilize DNS so that when we upgrade a server, we wouldn’t need to make any changes to any of our endpoints. Is this possible with MSMQ? If so, how do you do it and are there any drawbacks/issues to be aware of?

**I know .Net core won’t support MSMQ going forward and we are looking to migrate off of that but that’ll take some time to get there

Thanks,
Mick

Hi @mick24. As far as I can remember it’s not possible, maybe someone else here has more information.

One thing I’ve been thinking about for a while though is to use a DNS server to store routing information and even subscriptions information.

.m

Could File Based Routing provide an alternative for routing?

That will remove all the pain associated with machine names.