New package NServiceBus.Extensions.Diagnostics.ApplicationInsights

Hi Team,

I created an extension that extends the package
NServiceBus.Extensions.Diagnostics that Jimmy Bogard created. The package NServiceBus.Extensions.Diagnostics.ApplicationInsights is een ‘exporter’ for Application Insights.

I used my own custom logic before, but this had much overlap with what Jimmy Bogard created, so I decided to switch to NServiceBus.Extensions.Diagnostics and for the Application Insights specific code I created NServiceBus.Extensions.Diagnostics.ApplicationInsights.

I want to publish this on NuGet, but I’m not allowed to publish it under this name. Is it ok, that you give me the right to publish it under this name? My NuGet login is remyvd. Or do I need to change the name? Or do you have additional requirements?

Hi Remy,

NServiceBus version 8 will be providing OpenTelemetry support out of the box. The betas are already on myget and samples can be found here.

While the support is compatible from user’s perspective, some implementation details are different (the diagnostic source, the tag names, etc.). I’d advise you to hold on and see if this exporter is still relevant with the official support. You can view the AppInsight sample in the link above as well.

Update: We have protected NuGet package names to distinguish between official vs community packages that have different support levels.

Hope this helps.

Hi Remy,

Just to follow up on what Hadi said, the NServiceBus.Community.* is public on nuget.org and that is what we recommend you use for new NServiceBus community packages going forward.

– Kyle

Nice that OpenTelemetry is being added to NServiceBus 8.

I thought OpenTelemetry was not yet supported with ApplicationInsights, but looking at the screenshots it looks OK to me. If it works out-of-the box (NServiceBus-OpenTelemetry-ApplicationInsights) that would be perfect.

@Kyle_Baley thanks for the NServiceBus.Community.*. I will use that of I still want to publish it.