NHibernate Persistence, Outbox, EF, UOW and SynchronizedStorageSession

Hi,

I have downloaded the sample Entity Framework integration with SQL Persistence • Sql Persistence Samples • Particular Docs

All works fine when I run it as is, but if I add endpointConfiguration.EnableOutbox(); then it fails with the error:

System.Data.Entity.Core.EntityException: An error occurred while starting a transaction on the provider connection. See the inner exception for details. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: SqlConnection does not support parallel transactions.
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.BeginSqlTransaction(IsolationLevel iso, String transactionName, Boolean shouldReconnect)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.BeginTransaction(IsolationLevel iso, String transactionName)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.BeginDbTransaction(IsolationLevel isolationLevel)
   at System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.Interception.InternalDispatcher`1.Dispatch[TTarget,TInterceptionContext,TResult](TTarget target, Func`3 operation, TInterceptionContext interceptionContext, Action`3 executing, Action`3 executed)
   at System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.Interception.DbConnectionDispatcher.BeginTransaction(DbConnection connection, BeginTransactionInterceptionContext interceptionContext)
   at System.Data.Entity.SqlServer.DefaultSqlExecutionStrategy.Execute[TResult](Func`1 operation)
   at System.Data.Entity.Core.EntityClient.EntityConnection.BeginDbTransaction(IsolationLevel isolationLevel)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.Data.Entity.Core.EntityClient.EntityConnection.BeginDbTransaction(IsolationLevel isolationLevel)
   at System.Data.Entity.Core.EntityClient.EntityConnection.BeginTransaction()
   at System.Data.Entity.Core.Objects.ObjectContext.<ExecuteInTransactionAsync>d__3d`1.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at System.Data.Entity.Core.Objects.ObjectContext.<SaveChangesToStoreAsync>d__39.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at System.Data.Entity.SqlServer.DefaultSqlExecutionStrategy.<ExecuteAsyncImplementation>d__9`1.MoveNext()
   at System.Data.Entity.Core.Objects.ObjectContext.<SaveChangesInternalAsync>d__31.MoveNext()
   at NServiceBus.Outbox.NHibernate.NHibernateOutboxTransaction.<Commit>d__7.MoveNext()
   at NServiceBus.TransportReceiveToPhysicalMessageProcessingConnector.<Invoke>d__1.MoveNext()
   at NServiceBus.MainPipelineExecutor.<Invoke>d__1.MoveNext()
   at NServiceBus.Transport.SQLServer.DelayedDeliveryMessagePump.<>c__DisplayClass1_0.<<Init>b__0>d.MoveNext()
   at NServiceBus.Transport.SQLServer.ReceiveStrategy.<TryProcessingMessage>d__14.MoveNext()
   at NServiceBus.Transport.SQLServer.ProcessWithNativeTransaction.<TryProcess>d__3.MoveNext()

What am I missing?

Also, in the end I want this to work with Azure Service Bus Transport, Outbox, EF and Transacation IsolationLevel = ReadCommited.

One more thing I want the Outbox to be in one schema per endpoint in a Bounded Context i.e MyContext_Endpoint1.OutboxRecord and MyContext_Endpoint2.OutboxRecord and my business data in a schema named MyContext.TableName1 etc. Does this make sense?

Regards
Marqus Landin

This sample is all about sharing the same SQL connection between the transport and persistence. Meaning the SQL connection from the transport is passed through persistence. Enabling Outbox doesn’t make sense in this setup as the Outbox requires the transport and persistence not to share a transaction at all.

What persistence are you planning to use? You mention EF, but we do not have a native EF persister which means your option is currently SQL Persistence or NHibernate persistence.

If you would use SQL Persistence for Outbox then you can share the outbox connection with EF.

This is used in this sample:

Does this help?

– Ramon