I just installed Service Control (4.3.0) on a server and enabled an Audit instance as well. I changed the host name of the Service Control instance from “localhost” to the computer name, aware of the possibility for anonymous access (fine in this case), but forgot to change the Audit instance Host name, so it was still defaulted to “localhost”.
From my developer machine, I connected Service Insight to this computer and I got all the endpoints and saw the messages as well. However, I couldn’t see the message body so after a while I fired up Fiddler and saw that the call to the computer_name:33333/api/messages/MESSAGE-ID/body returned a 400 BAD REQUEST: “Bad Request - Invalid Hostname”
Strange, as all the other calls to the same hostname worked. Then I logged in to the server again and looked at the configuration and saw that the host name for the Audit instance was “localhost” so I changed that one to the computer name as well.
I tested the api-call to the messages (/body) endpoint in Postman and it worked, I got the message body back.
However, when starting Service Insight again, I didn’t see any messages at all! All the searches returned 0 messages. Looking in Fiddler, I can see that the call to /api/messages… (without the /body) returns nothing:
The call to /endpoints/ returned correctly, so I saw all the endpoints in Service Insight, but all had 0 messages.
But the call to /api/messages/MESSAGE_ID/body works now (from Postman)… but not very useful when I can’t see any messages in SI.
So to summarize:
- If I leave the configured host name of the Audit instance to “localhost”, I can see messages (metadata) in Service Insight but not the message body.
- If I change the configured host name of the Audit instance to “computer_name”, I can’t see any messages in Service Insight, but I can fetch the message body (via Postman).